Wednesday, January 23, 2008

To Your Name Give Glory, O Lord (Psa. 115:1)

Not to us, O Lord, not to us, but to your name give glory,
for the sake of your steadfast love and your faithfulness!
Psalm 115:1
Lord, it's so easy to get caught up in the worries of the world and the pursuit of the various but fading glories of this world. As much as I'd like to think I put your kingdom first and foremost, I don't always. I come up short and need your grace day by day to live worthy of the calling. But you Lord have canceled out my transgressions, you've forgiven my sins, your mercies are new every day. May I always remember that and always glory in that.

And so I pray, Lord, bring glory to your name. For the sake of your steadfast love to your Bride, the church. For the sake of the furtherance of your Kingdom. Help me to seek first your kingdom and your righteousness, knowing that everything else will fall into place in your will when I submit to you in that.

Help me to see the advance of your kingdom in my daily walk. In my thoughts, in my speech, in my interactions with my family, my coworkers, my bosses, my friends, and my adversaries.

Help me smash the idols in my life. I can easily scoff at the idols of the nations (Psa. 115:4-8) and mock them for their false hope, but all too often I can drift from my true hope, which is you, Lord Jesus. So as you help me smash the idols in my life, smash to pieces my pride, and mold in me humility.

Help me to seek your righteousness. Your righteousness is imputed to me as a gift. I'm counted righteous in you through faith in your Son, and that faith itself is also a gift. So let me seek more of this gift of faith. Let me seek more growth in grace. May I model and exhibit righteous, godly behavior, Lord. Not because it will make me any more saved than I am today or was yesterday, but because it will bring you all the more glory as people see that my changed and changing character is not of human effort, but is Spirit-empowered and Gospel-driven.

Thank you Lord for your mercies being new every morning. May those who read this be blessed in the reading as I am blessed to be privileged to write it. Draw them, and me, to your Word, to read it, study it, meditate on it, pray it, and live it.

Do this all for the glory of your Name, Lord. In Jesus' name, Amen.

Read more...

1 comments:

David December 3, 2008 at 11:07 AM  

I am doing some study on the doorkeeper's responsibilities. I have heard that, among other things, he was responsible for inspecting the men who entered into the synagogue to assure that they had been circumsized. Are you aware of such duties, and if so, do you have a reference that you can send me to?

Thanks,

David
www.thepeoplespulse.blogspot.com
www.urclimbingjacobsladder.blogspot.com

Search My Site