Monday, February 11, 2008

"How Deep the Father's Love for Us"

I love to sing about Jesus's sacrificial love for us as demonstrated and fulfilled by his substitutionary death on the cross. I particularly love this hymn and so I pray it ministers to you. In brackets you'll find references to relevant Scripture that informs and inspires this song. I've also added below a passage from Isaiah 53. I pray this blesses you as it does me, as both a song of worship and a prayer.


How deep the Father's love for us,
How vast beyond all measure,

That He should give His only Son

To make a wretch His treasure. [John 3:16]

How great the pain of searing loss –

The Father turns His face away,

As wounds which mar the Chosen One

Bring many sons to glory. [Col. 3:1-4; Rev. 5:6-10]


Behold the man upon a cross,

My sin upon His shoulders;

Ashamed, I hear my mocking voice

Call out among the scoffers. [Isa. 53:3-4; I Timothy 1:12-17]

It was my sin that held Him there

Until it was accomplished;

His dying breath has brought me life –

I know that it is finished. [John 19:30]


I will not boast in anything,

No gifts, no power, no wisdom;

But I will boast in Jesus Christ,

His death and resurrection. [I Cor. 1:31; 2 Cor. 11:30; Gal. 6:14; Eph. 2:1-9]

Why should I gain from His reward?

I cannot give an answer;

But this I know with all my heart –

His wounds have paid my ransom. [Isa. 53:4-5,12; Col. 2:11-14]



Isaiah 53:3-12

3 He was despised and rejected [2] by men;
a man of sorrows, [3] and acquainted with [4] grief; [5]
and as one from whom men hide their faces [6]
he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

4 Surely he has borne our griefs
and carried our sorrows;
yet we esteemed him stricken,
smitten by God, and afflicted.
5 But he was wounded for our transgressions;
he was crushed for our iniquities;
upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace,
and with his stripes we are healed.
6 All we like sheep have gone astray;
we have turned—every one—to his own way;
and the Lord has laid on him
the iniquity of us all.

7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted,
yet he opened not his mouth;
like a lamb that is led to the slaughter,
and like a sheep that before its shearers is silent,
so he opened not his mouth.
8 By oppression and judgment he was taken away;
and as for his generation, who considered
that he was cut off out of the land of the living,
stricken for the transgression of my people?
9 And they made his grave with the wicked
and with a rich man in his death,
although he had done no violence,
and there was no deceit in his mouth.

10 Yet it was the will of the Lord to crush him;
he has put him to grief; [7]
when his soul makes [8] an offering for guilt,
he shall see his offspring; he shall prolong his days;
the will of the Lord shall prosper in his hand.
11 Out of the anguish of his soul he shall see [9] and be satisfied;
by his knowledge shall the righteous one, my servant,
make many to be accounted righteous,
and he shall bear their iniquities.
12 Therefore I will divide him a portion with the many, [10]
and he shall divide the spoil with the strong, [11]
because he poured out his soul to death
and was numbered with the transgressors;
yet he bore the sin of many,
and makes intercession for the transgressors.

Read more...

3 comments:

Eternal April 14, 2008 at 11:08 PM  

Awesome, i like your posting.

The way you gave scriptural references for the song. I was actually searching for the verse in the bible which says that we are the ones who crucified Christ which is sung about in many songs.

Well i found Isaiah 53, which you linked to "Ashamed i hear my mocking voice call out among the scoffers".

God bless doorkeeper, may you be faithful, watching always and waiting for the Lord.

scott July 7, 2008 at 12:34 AM  

Eternal, The concept that we put Jesus on the cross has poor scriptural support. The only verse is Acts 2:36-37. It is not a strong support because it has several possible meanings. More important is the verse in John:10:17-18. where Jesus says nobody is reponsible of his death except himself.

Tertius July 7, 2008 at 2:48 PM  

Scott, Christ endured the cross and despised its shame for the joy set before Him. That joy was accomplishing the Father's will, which was and is to redeem a people for Himself through the shed blood of Christ.

But it is our sins, transgressions, and iniquities that Christ bears on the cross and in that sense it is our sin that put Him there. It is true that unregenerated and dead in sin as we were apart from Him, were we in the crowd that day, we'd be yelling "crucify Him!"

At the very best, we wouldn't give a rip whether he lived or died, but we certainly wouldn't be protesting His innocence.

Search My Site