Friday, February 29, 2008

March-ing Through Psalm 119

I've always had trouble with the sheer length of Psalm 119, the longest Psalm with a grand total of 176 verses. It's an acrostic poem with each stanza starting with a successive letter in the Hebrew alphabet (Aleph, Beth, Gimel, etc.).

So what I plan on doing starting tomorrow, March 1, is this: read one stanza a day, where possible starting my day by reading the stanza, and returning to it throughout the day from time to time to re-read and meditate on it.

With one stanza a day -- reading Sin and Shin (vv. 161-8) and Taw (vv. 169-176) together for the final day -- I should be able to finish Psa. 119 in three weeks, concluding on March 21, Good Friday. Of course, I know how I am with plans and schedules, both those made for me and those I make for myself, so I appreciate your prayers for me to be faithful to this plan.

After all, my aim is to grow in my delight in the law of the Lord, and to say with the psalmist, "I rejoice at your word like one who finds great spoil." (119:162)

Read more...

1 comments:

Mrs. Carrington August 14, 2008 at 3:56 PM  

I have always liked Psalm 119 and I find it to be very inspiring and sometimes convicting. Thanks for the post.

Search My Site