Monday, April 27, 2009

What Will My Son Write About Me?

Writer Christopher Buckley, son of famous conservative thinker, writer, and publisher William F. Buckley Jr., has a new "warts and all" book out about his famous father and socialite mother. Reading Chris Buckley's interview with the Washington Post's Howard Kurtz in the April 26 post got me thinking: what will my son write about me, and how will they look wildly different, yet perhaps all too accurate, from what the outside world sees?

I'm a sinner saved by grace, and while I see evidence of grace in the progress of my attitudes, behaviors, motives, and morality, I'm weak and prone to failure, especially as a husband and father. Simply put, I'm sure there are many sins and errors in judgment I'll commit against or make when I have kids.

So what will my son or daughter, should God bless me with children, write about me? I don't think I'd mind a warts and all portrayal, so long as they get out of my life that I didn't claim to be the ultimate example to look toward.

Yes, I want my children to follow me but only as I follow Christ. I want to teach them that dear old Dad is a sinner saved by grace through faith, and that not of himself, but it's a gift of God. My hope in life and death is that body and soul I belong to my Savior, Jesus Christ, who died for my sins. That's what I'll want my kids to take away from my life, and that's what I want the world at-large to see.

Poor Chris Buckley joked in his interview with Kurtz that maybe his dad, if he's in heaven, can argue him in on a technicality.

I want my kids to know that the only defense counsel that can work their acquital is the Lord Jesus Christ.

The price was His blood and his representation is pro bono, if only we repent of our sins and trust in Him.

I pray Chris Buckley does so before the Lord summons him to court, and that my kids will do the same.

Read more...

1 comments:

Leo B. VadalĂ  October 23, 2009 at 9:27 PM  

Nicely done, as are the rest of your posts I have read so far.

In a sense, it can be argued that all of us who are going to Heaven will be getting in on a technicality, because we certainly won't be getting in on our own merits. :-)

Search My Site